St Peter’s Basilica, London Canada

St Peter’s Basilica, London Canada
4th of july decorations
Image by https://www.youtube.com/user/Sirius1278
The Diocese of London was created in 1856 and Bishop Pierre-Adolphe Pinsoneault selected St. Lawrence as his cathedral renaming the church St. Peter’s. In 1859, Bishop Pinsoneault moved the seat to Windsor where it remained until 1868 when Bishop John Walsh, Pinsoneault’s successor, moved it back to London.[1]
Bishop Walsh felt that the diocese should have a cathedral that was a true monument to its people. He selected Joseph Connolly as architect [2] and construction began in July 1880.[3] The structure was built in a 13th-century French French Gothic Revival style between 1880 and 1885. [4] The Cathedral was dedicated on 28 June 1885. The first stained glass windows were added in 1889 but the interior decoration was not completed until 1926. The Casavant organ was also installed in that year. In 1958, the twin towers on the facade, Lady Chapel and sacristy were added, stained glass windows were installed in the narthex and additional interior painting and decoration completed. St. Peter’s was raised to the status of a minor basilica on 13 December 1961 by Pope John XXIII. The current bishop of the Diocese of London is the Most Reverend Ronald P. Fabbro.