Southern Tip of Manhattan, New York

Southern Tip of Manhattan, New York
4th of july decorations
Image by Ken Lund
City Pier A is a municipal pier in the Hudson River at Battery Park near the southern end of Manhattan, New York. It has also been named Liberty Gateway. It was built from 1884 to 1886 to serve the Department of Docks and Harbor Police. The engineer in charge of construction and design was George Sears Greene Jr. (1837-1922), the son of the civil engineer and Union general George S. Greene (1801-1899).

Castle Clinton or Fort Clinton was once a circular sandstone fort now located in Battery Park at the southern tip of Manhattan Island, New York City, in the United States. It subsequently became a beer garden, an exhibition hall, a theater, the first immigration station (predating Ellis Island), a very popular public aquarium, and finally a national monument.

Construction began in 1808 and was completed in 1811. The fort, known as West Battery (sometimes South-west Battery), was designed by architects John McComb Jr. and Jonathan Williams. It was built on a small artificial island just off shore. West Battery was intended to complement the three-tiered Castle Williams (still extant) on Governors Island, which was East Battery, to defend New York City from British forces in the tensions that marked the run-up to the War of 1812, but never saw action in that or any war. Subsequent landfill expanded Battery Park, and incorporated the fort into the mainland of Manhattan Island. As with all historic areas administered by the National Park Service, Castle Clinton National Monument was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.

Although Castle Garden was designated a national monument on August 12, 1946, the law did not take effect until July 18, 1950, when the legislature and the governor of New York (Thomas Dewey) formally ceded ownership of the property to the Federal Government. A major rehabilitation took place in the 1970s. Today it is administered by the National Park Service and is a departure point for visitors to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. It appears much as it did in its earliest days, contains a museum, and is again called Castle Clinton.

Battery Park is a 25-acre (10 hectare) public park located at the Battery, the southern tip of Manhattan Island in New York City, facing New York Harbor. The Battery is named for the artillery battery that was stationed there at various times by the Dutch and British in order to protect the settlements behind it. At the north end of the park is Pier A, formerly a fireboat station and Hope Garden, a memorial to AIDS victims. At the other end is Battery Gardens restaurant, next to the United States Coast Guard Battery Building. Along the waterfront, ferries depart for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. There is also a stop on the New York Water Taxi route between the Statue of Liberty Ferry and Pier A.

To the northwest of the park lies Battery Park City, a planned community built on landfill in the 1970s and 80s, which includes Robert F. Wagner Park and the Battery Park City Promenade. Together with Hudson River Park, a system of greenspaces, bikeways and promenades now extend up the Hudson shoreline. A bikeway is being built through the park that will connect the Hudson River and East River parts of the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway. Across State Street to the northeast stands the old U.S. Customs House, now used as a branch of the National Museum of the American Indian and the district U.S. Bankruptcy Court. Peter Minuit Plaza abuts the southeast end of the park, directly in front of the South Ferry Terminal of the Staten Island Ferry.

Bowling Green is a small public park in Lower Manhattan at the foot of Broadway next to the site of the original Dutch fort of New Amsterdam. It is the oldest public park in New York City and is surrounded by its original 18th century fence. At its northern end is the Charging Bull, a bronze sculpture. Bowling Green marks the origination point for the ticker-tape parades that give to the lowest section of Broadway the sobriquet "Canyon of Heroes". Bowling Green Fence and Park is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

26 Broadway (also known as the Standard Oil Building) is a 31-story, 159 m, 520 ft New York City Designated Landmark at the southern tip of Manhattan at Bowling Green. The structure is currently the 197th tallest building in New York City.

The building which was originally built in 1885 according to design specifications by architect Francis H. Kimball, when Standard Oil moved its location from Cleveland, Ohio. Standard Oil’s first building on the site was a 10-story building 86 feet wide which extended between Broadway and North Street. It was designed by Ebenezer L. Roberts. In 1895, six stories were added and a 27-foot-wide (8.2 m) extension was made on its north side designed by Kimball & Thompson.[4] After World War I, Walter C. Teagle made the decision to greatly expand the structure by buying all four of its neighboring buildings on the block; and to either demolish them or extensively renovate them so that the new building looked like one.

It was extensively overhauled in 1921-1928 by Thomas Hastings the surviving partner of Carrère and Hastings with Shreve, Lamb and Blake as associate architects. Hastings, who had helped design the Cunard Building (later called the Standard & Poors Building) across the street at 25 Broadway, was chosen as lead architect. At the time of construction, the pyramid was the tallest tower at the tip of Manhattan and was illuminated as a beacon for ships entering the harbor.

Standard Oil of New Jersey (then called Esso), moved to 75 Rockefeller Plaza in 1946. The Mobil division moved to 150 East 42nd Street in 1954. Standard Oil sold the building in 1956. It is one of the first buildings in Manhattan to have setbacks and is topped by a pyramid modeled on the Mausoleum of Maussollos. It is now owned by Newmark Knight Frank. The building was designated as a New York City landmark in 1995.

The Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House (originally U.S. Custom House) is a building in New York City, built 1902–1907 by the federal government to house the duty collection operations for the port of New York. It is located near the southern tip of Manhattan, next to Battery Park, at 1 Bowling Green. The building is now the home of the New York branch of the National Museum of the American Indian as well as the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.

The building was designed by Minnesotan Cass Gilbert, who later designed the Woolworth Building, which is visible from the building’s front steps. The selection of Gilbert to design the building was marked with controversy. Until 1893 federal office buildings were designed by government architects under the Office of the Supervising Architect of the United States Department of the Treasury. In 1893 the Tarsney Act permitted the Supervising Architect to hire private architects following a competition. The Supervising Architect James Knox Taylor picked Gilbert who earlier had been his partner at the Gilbert & Taylor architect firm in St. Paul, Minnesota. The scandal never quite blew over and in 1913 the Act was repealed.

It was constructed between 1902 and 1907. It is a masterpiece of the Beaux-Arts style, where public transactions were conducted under a noble Roman dome. It incorporates Beaux Arts and City Beautiful movement planning principles, combining architecture, engineering, and fine arts. Lavish sculptures, paintings, and decorations by well-known artists of the time, such as Daniel Chester French (the seated groups of the Four Continents on the front steps), Louis St. Gaudens and Albert Jaegers, embellish the facade, the two-story entry portico, the main hall parallel to the facade, the Rotunda, and the Collector’s Reception Room. Sculpture was so crucial to the scheme that the figure groups had independent contracts. Above the main cornice are standing sculptures representing the great seafaring nations, representing American seagoing commerce as the modern heir of the Phoenicians. In 1936, during the Great Depression, the Works Projects Administration commissioned murals for the main rotunda from Reginald Marsh.

40 Wall Street is a 70-story skyscraper located in New York City. Originally known as the Bank of Manhattan Trust building, and also known as Manhattan Company Building, it was later known by its street address when its founding tenant merged to form the Chase Manhattan Bank and today is known as the Trump Building. The building, located between Nassau Street and William Street in Manhattan, New York City, was completed in 1930 after only 11 months of construction.

The building was designed by H. Craig Severance, along with Yasuo Matsui (associate architect), and Shreve & Lamb (consulting architects). Edward F. Caldwell & Co. designed the lighting. Der Scutt of Der Scutt Architect designed the lobby and entrance renovation. Its pinnacle reaches 927 feet (282.5 m) and was very briefly the tallest building in the world, soon surpassed by the Chrysler Building finished that same year.

The building sits on the site of Fort Amsterdam, the fortification constructed by the Dutch West India Company to defend their operations in the Hudson Valley. The fort became the nucleus of the New Amsterdam settlement, and in turn, of New York City.